The Vietnam Education Foundation (VEF) is pleased to announce its 2007 VEF Fellowship program for Process B. Process B involves the submission of an application and documentation supporting a VEF Fellowship award for applicants already in possession of a Letter of Admission from a leading graduate school in the United States for study commencing in Fall 2007 in a science and technology (S&T) field. The fellowship application and selection process is open, competitive, and transparent. Applicants do not need to pay any fees to anyone in order to apply or be considered for a VEF Fellowship. Winners are chosen based on individual merit including academic performance, intellectual capabilities, English communication skills, and the potential for scientific contribution to education and research.
Applications will be available ONLY online ( online application ) and ONLY from 9:00 a.m., January 30, 2007, to 9:00 a.m. March 15, 2007 ( Vietnam time zone).
1. Fields of study
VEF seeks highly qualified applicants interested in pursuing a Ph.D. or Master's degree at leading universities in the United States in the major disciplines of S&T, such as Mathematics, Computer Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Agriculture, Public Health, and Engineering.
In order to apply, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Vietnamese by citizenship and not permanent residents in, or citizens of, any country other than Vietnam; and
- Individuals who have been admitted to at least one leading S&T graduate program in the U.S. for the Fall 2007 term. The admitted school(s) must belong to the VEF Alliance, or must accept the terms of VEF's financial support.
3. Selection Process
There are two rounds of competition:
1. ROUND ONE: From January 30, 2007, to March 15, 2007, VEF receives online applications and supporting documents. After the deadline, VEF reviews applications to assure that they meet the minimum qualifications.
2. ROUND TWO: In late March 2007, the most competitive applicants will be invited to an interview. Successful applicants in the interview will be recommended to the VEF Board for Fellowship awards in April 2007.
Note: The above is the intended VEF time-line of activities for the selection process for 2007 Fellowship Program - Process B. VEF reserves the right to make changes as circumstances require. Any changes will be posted ONLY on VEF's official website at www.vef.gov.
4 . Preparation for The VEF Fellowship Application
Note: Information entered on the online application can be changed as often as the applicant wishes prior to the application deadline.
To prepare for the application, applicants must do the following:
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE. Each applicant must prepare a Statement of Purpose essay, giving three reasons for wanting to pursue a graduate degree program in the U.S on a VEF Fellowship. Objectives must be stated clearly with explanations about how a VEF Fellowship would help the applicant achieve his or her stated objectives. The essay must be well-organized and composed in excellent English and must not be longer than two A4 pages, single spaced. The quality and content of this essay are extremely important factors in determining the applicant's candidacy for a VEF Fellowship. Below are some suggestions of what to include:
Work and research experience
- Narrative of work and research experience;
- Description of a scientific challenge that the applicant faced and how s/he managed and solved that challenge, including the lessons learned. This can be a success or a failure, but it must be memorable.
- Desired fields of study (several specific subjects and general research interests) ranked according to priority;
- Objectives and impact of one's proposed research or project(s); and
- Contribution of the proposed research or project(s) to the development of science and technology in Vietnam.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS. Each applicant is required to submit the following:
- Letter of admission from each school;
- Letter of financial support from each school if the financial terms are not mentioned in the letter of admission. This letter should clearly show that the school(s) is/are aware of, and accept the terms of VEF financial support.
- A copy of the completed application form to each of the schools to which you have applied and been admitted; and
- One set of supporting documents that you submitted to each university for admission.
Vietnam Education Foundation
Hanoi Towers, Suite 502
49 Hai Ba Trung, Hanoi, Vietnam
If you have any questions regarding Process B, please e-mail
Click here for Vietnamese version.