In order to apply, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
I. Eligibility for general applicants
- Vietnamese by citizenship and not a permanent resident, or citizen of, any country other than Vietnam;
- College graduate with at least a Bachelor's degree in a field of science or technology (S&T) or college juniors (3rd or 4th year) or seniors (final year students) pursuing a degree in S&T; no working experience required.
- Overall Grade Point Average (GPA). Applicants ONLY with an undergraduate degree must have at least a GPA of 7.0/10.0. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA from 6.5/10.0 to 7.0/10.0 are eligible to apply ONLY if they have a master's degree with a GPA of at least 7.0/10.0 in the same field as the intended field of study.
For Process A applicants
- English Language Proficiency. The applicant must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the English language. Any one of the following means is acceptable to demonstrate sufficiency:
- TOEFL. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score at least 500 on the Paper-Based Test (PBT) (either the International or Institutional exam is acceptable), which is equivalent to 173 on the Computer-based Test (CBT) and 61 on Internet-based Test (iBT).
- IELTS. A minimum score of 6.5 on an IELTS exam
- Degree from an English-speaking country. The applicant would need to demonstrate that s/he is studying for a bachelor's or master's degree in, or has a recent university bachelor's or master's degree (not more than two years old at the time of applying for the VEF Fellowship) from, a university that conducts all courses in English in any of the following English-speaking countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom (England, Ireland, Scotland), or the United States.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination). All applicants must provide VEF with the results of the GRE General Test, since most graduate programs in science require submission of scores as part of the application process. The minimum scores vary from university to university, so VEF will not establish minimum scores for the GRE General Test. Scores can be no more than five years old because the GRE is only valid for 5 years. VEF only accepts the official GRE score report.
For Process B applicants
II. Eligibility of VEF employees and VEF contracted agency employees for VEF Fellowships, Visiting Scholar Grants, and U.S. Faculty Scholar Grants (PDF - 32.4 KB)
- Admission Letter. Official letter of admission from a U.S. university, confirming full admission without any conditions, name of degree, level of study (Master’s or Ph.D.), department, and major within that department.
- Acceptance of VEF Finanacial Terms. The admitting university must acknowledge in writing on university letterhead acceptance of the VEF financial terms and must complete a VEF form that delineates finances over the duration of the degree program.
Copyright (c) 2013 VIETNAM EDUCATION FOUNDATION